Evan B: A Love Letter To My Office Job

When the Office Manager at COM Undergraduate Affairs first reached out to me at the end of my Sophomore year asking if I would be interested in working as an office assistant, I had no clue what to expect. I never exactly thought an office job would be my thing. For starters, copy machines can get really confusing, really quick. But, since I first took a seat in our super tall rolly chair at the front desk of Undergraduate Affairs, I’ve never looked back!

I quickly mastered the copy machine– the office is passionate about a good coloring page– but have also found that there’s so much more to do when I’m working in the office. Picking up the phone is always a fun surprise, and there is definitely no shortage of emails to answer, especially during registration season 😉

At Undergraduate Affairs, we take our snacks super seriously, too. Any day can be made better with a little help from our candy drawer, and all of the other Office Assistants and Advisors are super passionate about trying all of the Pringle flavors that exist around the world (and yes, there is a running ranking sheet of all the flavors we’ve tried). There is no shortage of baked goods in the office– with gluten- and dairy-free options too– and sometimes we even get lucky if there are extra snacks from an event around COM, too.

Most importantly, though, working in the office has meant so much more to me than all of the fun we have every day, like when our WB Mason office supply deliveries arrive or we decorate to celebrate the next upcoming holiday. Not only have I been able to learn super important skills that will help me in any role I take on in the future, like how to reply to emails, help a student at the front desk, or what to do when I don’t know the answer to a question, but I’ve also found a diverse support system through working in the office, too. Many of the other office assistants are in the same classes as I am, and we always help each other with coursework and networking, too. Getting to know each of the advisors has shown me that there is always someone there to support you in your academic, professional, and personal life; so much can happen in your four years of undergraduate school, and each and every one of our advisors is so knowledgeable and is there to support you at every moment along the way. Additionally, I’ve gotten to know the faculty and staff of the different COM departments, Dean’s Office, and Career Services, which has helped me feel more confident in myself as a student and my ability to get a full-time job once I graduate.

COM Undergraduate Affairs is just one more example of the COMmunity I’ve found here at BU, and I know for a fact that my time in Boston would not have been the same if I had let my fears of the copy machine stop me from taking on this position 🙂