Colbi E: A Senior’s Top Moments at BU

I’m now a second-semester senior, and graduation is approaching faster than I would like to accept. I’ve had the most wonderful four years at Boston University, and I’m incredibly grateful for the experiences I’ve had. So, I would like to list out some of my most memorable moments — in no particular order — at BU to give you some inspiration on clubs to join, classes to take and opportunities to gain professional experience.

Interviewing Mayor Michelle Wu for a class

I was taking a class on TV reporting the fall of my junior year when I went downtown to make a video package on the Veteran’s Day Parade. Several local politicians were in attendance, and as the parade made its way to Government Center, my class partner and I spotted Mayor Michelle Wu. I was the one doing interviews for this particular package, and I knew I wanted to speak with her. So, despite some nerves, I went up and asked her questions. She probably doesn’t remember that moment, but it’s something I think about often.

Interning at places like NBC and The Dallas Morning News

I’ve had five internships throughout my time at BU, and they have all been amazing learning opportunities. I’m a double major in political science and journalism, with a minor in African American studies, but journalism is what I want to do as a career. In addition to my internships, I’ve also taken The Boston Globe reporting class where I covered the city of Newton for a semester and am currently reporting for The Worcester Telegram & Gazette through the BU Statehouse Program. The College of Communication has amazing courses that offer professional experiences, which will prepare you well for internships.

Studying Abroad in London

Yes, I went abroad and never stopped talking about it. I studied in London for the spring semester of my junior year and got to truly travel the world for the first time in my life. I interned with a local company, studied British politics and media, and explored not only the UK but several other countries in Europe! It was the most amazing experience and I would do it over and over again if I could.

Being Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Free Press

The Daily Free Press is Boston University’s independent, student-run newspaper. If you’re interested in journalism, photography, graphic design, podcasting or opinion writing, I would highly recommend joining. I know I said there was no ranking of my experiences, but this one may just be the most important. It set me up for success in my career, and I learned so much about journalism while being EIC. I love the FreeP and everyone who works there — we would love to have you if you’re interested!

Honorable mentions not related to academics or career

Hockey games, riding a BlueBike on the Esplanade, sitting in the sun on the COM Lawn, Warren Dining Hall’s stir fry, Marciano Common’s pasta, Nud Pob and kayaking on the Charles River.

I miss you already Boston!