Anika B: Reflecting on 4 Years as a COM Ambassador

My first exposure to the COM Ambassador program was during the spring semester of my senior year of high school, when I came to visit BU for the COM Open House. Now, as a spring semester college senior, I want to reflect on my four years at COM, and more specifically, as a part of the COM Ambassador program.

When I first visited COM, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of care and enthusiasm CAs showed. Like many incoming freshmen, I felt overwhelmed by choosing a major. After the building tour, CA Hannah took the time to grab me some curriculum guides to show me how the course lists could help me better understand my interest level in each major. That fall, CA Avery explained the Media Science major to me and recommended I meet with Professor Traci Hong to learn more. (I did meet with Professor Hong then, and a year and a half later I was in her Persuasion Theory class, working towards my Media Science degree!)

During my freshman spring, I joined the COM Ambassador program. As I learned the ropes of COM, both as a student and a CA, I was constantly inspired by the work experience and passion projects of the students around me. I gave tours with CA Laura, who as a second-semester senior was working part time at an advertising agency while starting her own podcast and, of course, taking classes. Everyone I met in the CA program seemed to have a story like this: impressive professional experience, but also side projects they felt personally fulfilled by.

My sophomore and junior years, I got more involved with the CA program, first as a content coordinator and later as a program coordinator. My first several semesters on the leadership team took place during the pandemic, so while I was learning how to produce content and plan events, the whole CA program was changing to fit pandemic restrictions.

I remember being very nervous to moderate my first Zoom panel, but like any skill, it became natural with practice. Being a CA has taught me so many skills—organization, responsibility, teamwork—but the biggest direct effect I’ve seen has definitely been in my public speaking. From giving tours to moderating panels to emceeing last year’s Open House (my first time doing so in person!), I am so grateful to have gotten the chance to grow.

As any CA will tell you, the most rewarding part of the program is seeing the tangible impact of your efforts on prospective students. Seeing high school students at Open House end up coming to COM, and then maybe even becoming a COM Ambassador, lets you know about the difference you might have made with just one conversation.

So many CAs, beyond the few I mentioned here, have made a positive impact on my time at BU. When I look back at my time here, I know I’ll always be thinking of the CA program!

CA Leah, CA Jess, CA Kaylee, and me at our first fall 2021 welcome event

CA Kaylee and me posing like Sims in between CA interviews (photo taken by our boss, the one and only Jen Kahler 😎)

CA Jazzy and me after moderating the spring 2022 Open House