Mia P: How to Survive the Boston Winter, From a California

“How bad is the cold?” 

“How should I prepare for the weather?”

“Are the winters in Boston really THAT bad?”

As a COM Ambassador, these are probably the most frequently asked questions I get from potential or incoming students — and it’s a valid question. Boston winters are no joke. 

Coming from sunny Southern California, I was also uneasy moving to the Northeast as someone who had never experienced a real winter. Now that I’m in my senior year at BU, it’s safe to say that I’m used to it by now. I don’t actually find the winter to be THAT intolerable, but it can definitely be hard for others come November through January. So, here are my tips for making the winters better at BU! 

1. INVEST IN A WARM COAT

This sounds pretty self-explanatory and maybe obvious, but investing in a solid, warm winter coat is everything. I’m not saying that you need to drop hundreds of dollars on the latest Canada Goose jacket, but in this case quality really is key. Definitely check out brands like The North Face, Columbia, or Uniqlo. 

1. ACCESSORIZE 

Beanies, scarves, and mittens will save you. I’m a huge fan of beanies myself because no one tells you the pain of your ears freezing. Also, these things make a winter outfit complete! 

1. ENJOY WINTER ACTIVITIES

There are some facets of winter that don’t involve the weather. One of my favorite memories at BU was the first time it snowed freshman year and everyone left their dorms to go play outside! There are also lots of opportunities to go ice skating and do other holiday activities, like the Snowport market downtown. 

1. DON’T LET WINTER STOP YOUR HOBBIES

Something I was really worried about was if the cold would stop me from doing the things I love. I love to be outside and workout outside — and while a Noreaster may not make an outdoor run doable, buying some warm workout gear has helped me keep up with my hobbies despite the cold. It’s really important that you keep up with the things you enjoy and not let winter kill your whole vibe!