Ellie S: The Hardest Working Pep Band in All of College Athletics

There are so many clubs at Boston University, but only one has a title that is known throughout the college athletics world. I am of course talking about “The Hardest Working Pep Band in All of College Athletics”, or the BU Pep Band.

I never planned on joining any form of band when I came to Boston University. I was convinced that my senior year in high school would be my last time playing my clarinet. That was until I heard the Scarlet Band at summer orientation. I was so impressed by their song collection, no folk songs or classical compositions were being played, and I loved that. They were playing contemporary tunes, I distinctly remember hearing Good 4 U by Olivia Rodrigo and Holiday by Green Day. Those first few notes convinced me that I had to join the band in some capacity. I also thought it was neat that when representatives went around recruiting at orientation they made it clear that the Pep Band was open to any level of skill. Pep Band is one of the most diverse clubs you can be a part of, with all the colleges being included, with students from around the country and world, but somehow we can all come together to celebrate music and BU athletics.

There are so many other positives associated with being in the Pep Band. The first one is access to sporting events like the Bean Pot (a hockey tournament between all the Boston Schools), which is free and so are the Championship hockey games at TD Garden. The band also puts you in the middle of the game, we are the backing track to every sporting event. It allows us to create an amazing atmosphere to show our terrier pride. There are also so many connections that are made through the band. I have made so many close friendships and everyone becomes a family by the end of the school year. 

I hope more people consider joining the hardest-working pep band in all of college athletics. I think signing up was one of the best choices I made as a first year. Even if you don’t play an instrument, I suggest watching a pep band performance. Everyone involved in the program puts in much effort and strives to keep BU sporting events lively. The gameday atmosphere would change so much without the band. I hope you learn to love their quirky dances, wild chants, and amazing songs during your time at BU.