Jonathan M: Top Three Study Spots

So, you’re a student at Boston University, and you’re on the hunt for that elusive perfect study spot. I have struggled with this my entire college career, not with studying, but more with screenwriting. This is the real problem; sometimes the library gets old, and you need a change of scenery, or your dorm, well… Lucky for you, Boston is full of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Here are my top three study spots near the BU campus that will become your new go-to havens.

Boston Public Library: Though not technically on campus, the Boston Public Library is worth the short T-ride away (or, in my opinion, if you’re not in a time crunch, the walk will help you with your ideas!). Nestled in the heart of the city, this library is a little distracting because of how beautiful it is, but once you get past that and throw some headphones on, it really doesn’t get better than this. And if you need a study break, the open-air courtyard offers stunning architecture, serene fountains, and comfortable seating. It’s the ideal spot for basking in the sun while you tackle your assignments. Also, don’t forget to grab a cup of coffee from the library’s cafe (or the billion coffee shops near the library) to keep you refreshed and focused. 

Amory Park: Just a stone’s throw away from BU, Amory Park is a hidden gem for students seeking a peaceful and green study spot. This charming park provides a serene atmosphere where you can lay out a blanket, crack open your textbooks, and let the gentle breeze inspire your learning (OK, I might have gone a little too far there). But still, the outdoor space has a really nice path, some picnic tables, and a little water feature (I saw a turtle the other day, NDB). I suggest sitting under the shade of a tree and writing your notes in your lap; that’s usually how I find myself in that park. IMO, it’s the best outdoor study escape near campus.

An Open Classroom: OK, you just got out of your late-night class, and you go to the library? Nah, that place is too basic; you gotta find an open classroom. These are found pretty easily during the night hours and, in my opinion, make for a great space. You can be as loud or quiet as you want and don’t have to feel like you’re in a little box (I’m looking at you, BU library). This is really my favorite campus-centric option; there’s usually an open classroom located near the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). And I like their classroom since the large windows offer plenty of natural light and a more tranquil atmosphere; it’s an ideal space for productive study sessions. The best part? Chalkboards, are consistently fun to feel like you’re doing more than you’re actually doing.

These hidden gems are sure to provide a refreshing change of scenery and an inspiring backdrop for your studies. When you’re yearning for a break from the library and the usual study spots, give these locations a try. You might just discover that your productivity and motivation get a significant boost (A change of scenery can do a lot!). Happy studying!