Emily F: My Favorite Springtime Activities in Boston

As spring semester is starting, I find myself excited for the warmer weather. Some of my favorite activities to do in Boston are somewhat dependent on the nice weather, so I’m waiting until I am finally able to spend more time outside, and not be rushing down the street in the cold temperatures. I figured that I would write about some of these activities and share them with you! 

The Esplanade 

First off, the Esplanade- the path that runs along the Charles River, where people can be found walking, biking, or just enjoying the weather. It’s one of my favorite places when the weather is nice, and I enjoy just walking down it, listening to music or an audiobook, or walking and chatting with my friends. If you want to do something more active, you can always rent a Blue Bike and go for a bike ride down the Esplanade. It does cost money to rent, but it can be a fun way to spend some time with your friends. My friend and I rented the bikes for 30 minutes and we’re able to bike from campus down to the North End. 

The Public Gardens 

One of my favorite days from last semester was when my friends and I went to the Boston Public Gardens and spent some time reading and relaxing. It was during reading period last spring, and I needed to get out of my dorm and away from studying. My friends and I had spent the past few days studying and preparing for group projects, and we all needed to take a break. So, we made our way to the Public Gardens. We stopped at the Dunkin nearby, laid out our blanket, and all started reading. We stayed in that spot for a while, just enjoying the weather, reading, and catching up. 

Exploring the City 

Last year, my class got canceled on a Friday, and I had absolutely nothing to do. I had no assignments due to catch up on, and no club meetings to plan for. Normally, I would’ve taken this day to spend some time reading and catching up on sleep, but since it was a beautiful day out, I knew I wanted to spend some time outside. So, I took my camera, and made my way down to the North End. I spent my day looking at the city through my camera lens. I got a ton of great pictures that day, in the Boston Common, the Public Gardens, the North End, and the Boston Harbour area. I was able to take pictures for fun, and not worry about them being perfect for a class project, and for me, it was the perfect way to spend the day. 

These were some of my favorite experiences in Boston, and the best part is that they didn’t require any planning, and weren’t too expensive to achieve. It allowed me to spend some ‘quiet time’ in the city, which I think really emphasized the beauty of Boston.