Kristin R: The Best Places to Walk in and around Boston

Whenever I find myself stressed out, pondering over the same thing over and over again, or just simply need time to myself for reflection, I take a walk.  It’s something I’ve been doing since before I can even remember, and I try to make time for a walk everyday no matter how early or late it is. Back home in California, I had established my favorite walking spots, so when I arrived in Boston at the end of August last year, I knew I had some catching up to do. Here I have listed my favorite places I have found to walk for every occasion.

Hall’s Pond Sanctuary

The perfect place to sit on a bench and observe life at ease. I recall stumbling upon this place one of my first weeks at BU, and it really helped me have a moment of peace to myself amidst all the change.

The Esplanade

Creativity sparks here as people watching is at its peak.  Perfect place to stroll and think about anything you want.

Coolidge Corner

All the shops and scenery here feel like a place out of a movie. Walk here for the opportunity to feel like you’re in a made up land and let your mind wander.

Park Drive

A street lined with apartment buildings and an open grass area. On one of my first walks around Boston I got lost on this street, but for the first time I didn’t panic.  I felt lost in a refreshing way being able to see all the other college signs around such as Berklee and Emmanuel College, really making me feel like I was in “America’s College Town.”

Winchester Street

The street that gets you away from city life. Walking through and looking at all the gorgeous homes has led me to come up with many stories on who may live inside.

Longwood

After accidentally getting off on the wrong T stop, I stumbled upon the Longwood area.  It’s one of those places, for me at least, that is surrounded by so many little stores and new sights that it helps you truly think about all the things you haven’t seen yet as a young mind in a big city.

BU Bridge

Gazing across the Charles River from the BU Bridge at night and seeing the illuminated lights from the tall skyscraper was my, “We’re not in Kansas anymore,” moment. As I kept walking across the bridge, I thought of all my accomplishments that led me to this moment, and all the dreams I want to pursue at Boston University.