Sydney: Choosing College Confusion

As admitted students face the decision of choosing which college to attend, and prospective students will begin applications in the coming months, I reflect on my feelings of confusion and uncertainty when I was in those positions.

When I was in high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my future; I didn’t know what I wanted to major in or where I wanted to go to school. I wasn’t sure whether I wanted a small or large school, or urban environment vs a traditional campus. I’m sure some of you can relate.

I applied to way too many colleges my senior year, and to be honest, BU was not my top choice. I imagined myself attending a big state school, specifically Penn State. I wanted to go to a school with a football team, and continue my 10-year-long cheerleading career. I was extremely excited when I was accepted into Penn State, however I was forced to choose among other options- one being Boston University.  After receiving my BU acceptance, I decided to give the school a chance and attend an admitted student visit.

I visited BU on a dreary, cold, and rainy day in March. Upon stepping on the campus and exploring some of what Boston had to offer, something registered in my mind. I realized, how can I attend a school where I am locked up in a gated campus? Since I’m from NYC, I couldn’t imagine myself not remaining in an urban environment. I knew BU offered so much to do on campus, but there are so many opportunities off campus as well!

Although BU wasn’t my original option, I knew this is where I wanted to be. My advice for anyone who is in the same confused and uncertain mindset as I was is that it will all work out! Be open-minded to schools you may not have originally considered. Visit different campuses and imagine yourself there. If you don’t know what you want to major in yet, that’s completely okay! I came into BU undecided in the College of Arts & Sciences, and I finally figured it out my sophomore year as a Public Relations major in COM. Even though it doesn’t seem like it, I know you will figure everything out!