Jessica: The Do’s and Don’ts of Quarantine

begin-unsplashFor the past six months, each day has passed by like a trial-and-error run. I spent the first bulk of quarantine (regrettably) moping aimlessly at home, thinking I had all the time in the world before summer ended. It wasn’t until this past month that I found my groove and began spending my days in productive bliss. Now, as my final days at home trickle away, I present to you a condensed list of tips I gained from these past few months, in hopes that I can carry them with me back to Boston.

Do: Wake up in the a.m.

This one didn’t hit me until the end of summer, when I tried out the Sleep Cycle app on a friend’s recommendation (highly recommend this app’s smart alarm!). As much as I hated to admit it, waking up early held a million perks and zero downsides — more time in the day, increased sense of productivity, fresh morning air, breakfast foods — the list goes on. For my fellow night owls out there, trust me on this one.

Do: Establish a workout routine (even better if it’s with a friend!)

This is the one thing that I began in the beginning of quarantine and still stand by. Though you’ll still catch me complaining about how painful some workouts are (shout out to Pamela Reif), following a daily exercise program kept my energy levels up and gave structure to my weeks when I needed it most. Yoga and meditation also make for great routines and stress relievers!

Do: Make a habit out of reading

Not out of necessity, but out of leisure. What better time to catch up on book recs than now? Not only does it boost intellect, it also acts as a breather during the day. 

Do: Check up on your friends

As we navigate through the disarray of 2020 within the confines of our homes, it’s easy to grow anxious. We’re not alone in this; it’s important to remind those we love and cherish that we’re still thinking of them. Even a simple “how was your day?” speaks volumes.

Do: Channel your inner creativity

Start that blog you’ve been meaning to make. Take a camera with you on walks. Take advantage of the Adobe Creative Suite. Paint something for your room. Learn something new; the possibilities are endless.

Do: Keep your eyes open for opportunities that interest you 

One thing I’ve noticed and admired during this quarantine is the sheer number of passion projects and opportunities I’ve seen students and recent graduates take up. Now is a great time to seek new interests and pursue higher goals, whether or not they are career-oriented.

Don’t: Browse through social media until you’ve given yourself time to get out of bed

Speaking from personal experience, there is a big (sometimes hour long) difference between “waking up” and “getting up.” If you can help it, I would even recommend not checking your phone at all until you’ve properly stepped out of bed and finished your morning routine.

Don’t: Do work in bed

As comfortable as it is, I’ve found working anywhere within the vicinity of my bed to be quite distracting. Your bed gives you the impression of rest and sleep, and at a time when you’re trying to work at peak productivity, it isn’t the move. Try to secure a study space with minimal distractions for optimal productivity.

Don’t: Go on a stress-fueled Linkedin rampage

We’ve all been through those 2 a.m. bursts of sudden panic when we can’t stop obsessing over that question: What if I don’t get a job? Each time I’ve scoured Linkedin pages out of stress, the results are counterproductive. Instead, try setting a specific time during your day to do some job/internship hunting without overwhelming yourself.

Don’t: Limit yourself

At the end of the day, my biggest regrets tend to be the things I envisioned for myself but never set out to do, whether it be out of fear of judgment or neglect. None of us are sure how long this quarantine will last. While the circumstances of our current situation are unfortunate, we are given a rare opportunity to open new avenues to our own future — don’t let it go to waste!