Jon: ‘Round, ‘Round Get Around

Hey all,
I hope everyone’s starting to get excited for the start of the school year! I know I can’t wait to get back on campus and hit up all my favorite haunts, from the SMG Starbucks to the shady lawns of the Esplanade. There are so many places on BU’s campus to hang out, you might wonder why anyone would ever go off campus.
However, Boston is a great city with an awesome night life and plenty of cool spots to check out. So, you might want to venture beyond the BU bookends of Kenmore Square and West Campus once in a while. But how’re you going to go out on your city excursion you wonder? Boston’s a big town!

Not so! One of the amazing bits about Boston is how easy it is to get around. The public transit is great (though if you’re going inbound, walk the block down to Kenmore Square – you’ll find a train much quicker that way), and the city’s small enough that you can walk from campus to the Boston Common in only a half hour or so. However, for those who are really inclined to explore, I can only recommend one mode of transportation. The bicycle.

The bicycle’s roots come from the 1800s, and there are nearly one billion bikes worldwide, which is twice as many as there are cars. This elegant form of transportation is one of the most efficient machines in use today, and is a fun and healthy way to get some exercise. But, even more important, it is a fast and easy way to get off campus when the urge to explore strikes you.

I’ve spent some time biking around Boston this summer, and what amazes me is that a seemingly long trip – like walking to Faneuil Hall – takes almost no time at all when you bike. It normally takes me a half an hour to walk over to Northeastern University, but on my bike, I made the trip in ten minutes flat. Now that’s efficiency.

Boston makes it incredibly easy for you to bike around, with the Hubway rental bike system and comfortable bike lanes on most roads. What’s even better is that BU offers indoor bike parking at several locations, in a swipe-access garage with security cameras monitoring the area, to give you the best security for your bike. A strong U-lock is basically a requirement as well, as the cable locks are just too easy to cut, as I’m sure the BUPD showed you at Orientation.

So, when you’re preparing to come to school, think seriously about bringing your bike or picking one up here. You won’t regret it, and you’ll probably find some friends to bike with too!

See you in the fall (on my bike),

Jon