Claire: Back Bay Ball

My freshman year, my roommate and I were really excited to explore Boston and take advantage of the city. We took to the city streets so often that we actually missed out on a lot of the opportunities offered right on campus.This year my roommate and I have decided, as our New Year’s Resolution, to try to go to as many BU events as possible. We both checked out the BU Calendar to make a list of some of our ‘must go’ events.

For 30 years, Boston University students have been starting the Winter Semester off right by putting on their dancing shoes and their fanciest outfits for the Back Bay Ball. This year, the event was held at 808 Gallery, right on campus. Tickets normally are around $20 but this year it was FREE!

The dance was so popular this year, Student Activities actually had to make the event BU Student only because so many people had RSVPd.

When I got the following e-mail I was definitely stoked:

“Hey Back Bay Ballers!

As you might know by now we have completely filled our RSVP spots. While we’ve said this before, we want to emphasize it again: your RSVP does NOT guarantee entry. While the gallery can hold over 1000 people, we had a lot more people than that RSVP. Get there early to guarantee your spot in the event! If there is a line don’t be discouraged – we will do our best to get as many people in the door as possible.”

A few of my friends and I all got ready together in my dorm room and headed down to 808 Gallery around 9:00pm. By the time we got there the line to get in was already down to the gas station on Comm Ave. Nevertheless, BU students waited in line (short dresses and heels) for the excitement inside.

The Gallery was completely packed! There was a live band playing and trust me, the dance floor was popping. There was also a professional photographer taking group photos and a caricature artist. Food and drinks were provided (did I tell you this was free?). For those who are 21+ , there was a cash bar available! I mean is this BU Campus or a swanky new club? When I was inside I honestly couldn’t tell.

The night was so much fun, my friends and I danced until we had blisters and then gorged on the endless free cookies, hummus, and other goodies.

SO MUCH FUN! AND FREE!

There are so many amazing events put on at BU, you honestly could have the time of your life without even leaving campus or paying for a taxi. I really recommend taking time to look at the BU Calendar and the Student Activities website to check out some of the upcoming events. There is something for everyone and most of the events are free!

Check out my next COM Ambassador blog post to hear about my next BU adventure!