Jen: When One Door Opens, The Opener Comes In

Recently, I was on the phone with my mom and she asked me what I was doing this weekend. I told her I was going to a concert and her response was “another one?! Haven’t you been to enough concerts this month?” Now, I don’t go to a ton of concerts, but I do go to enough to make my parents and friends wonder if I do anything else with my free time. I love going to concerts in Boston. I’m from a place where the only concerts are basically Dave Matthews Band and Rascal Flatts (not that there is anything wrong with those bands, it’s just those are basically the only ones that come to where I’m from) (and sometimes it’s exhausting). I’m fortunate to go to school in a city where a bunch of my favorite bands and artists play. One of my favorite parts about going to a concert (besides getting there an hour early to get in the front, and then eventually getting hearing loss the day after) is seeing the opener before the main act! I think that any indicator of a great concert is if there is a great opener. Not only do you get to jam out to a band you may never had heard of before, but you also may find your next favorite band! So, enough beating around the bush, here are a few of my favorite openers from concerts I’ve seen here in Boston!

Young Rival (opened for Born Ruffians, 10/29/2015): I knew this band was going to be great as soon as they walked on stage in gold glitter blazers. They were the second opener for Born Ruffians at The Sinclair in October. They have a pretty chill vibe that’s perfect to listen to if you just want to mellow out and hang with friends.

Listen To: That’s Chemistry ( on Spotify )

Jamie N Commons (opened for Catfish and the Bottlemen, 10/16/2015): This was one of the first times where I knew the opener before I went to the concert. The reason why is because one of their songs was in the trailer for the new Coen Bros. movie Hail Casesar! This bluesy/folk-rock band gives off a gritty vibe that makes it hard for you not to jam to their songs. You probably have also heard their song “Jungle” in the Pitch Perfect 2 trailer. They also had another one of their songs in The Walking Dead!

Listen To: Rumble N Sway ( on Spotify )

Tess and Dave (opened for Father John Misty, 4/22/16 ): Okay, this couple is my newest obsession. This couple, who are in the band for Father John Misty, also have a very chill vibe. They gave me a chill space alien couple vibe. They probably had one of the best performances I’ve seen by an opener. I don’t even know what I loved more! Was it because the had synchronized dances? Was it because the lead the audience in a sing-a-long to one of their songs, which is about a Subaru? Was it their rainbow lights? Please please please listen to them!

Listen To: Social Chess ( on Bandcamp https://tessdave.bandcamp.com/releases)

Some More Bands ( Quickfire! )

Milo Greene ( listen to White Lies, on Spotify )

Dirty Bangs  ( listen to Pleasures, on Bandcamp https://dirtybangs.bandcamp.com/album/standards-4)

Cherry Glazzer (listen to Had Ten Dollaz , on Spotify)

Night Terrors of 1927 ( listen to When You Were Mine, on Spotify)