Angeli: College is Surreal(Cereal?)

You know those people who say they hate breakfast? Yeah, I don’t trust them either.

For as long as I can recall, I, Angeli S. Rodriguez, have been a breakfast food fiend. I could eat a bagel once a day for a decade and never get tired of them. I don’t discriminate against microwavable oatmeal compared to the homemade stuff. Discovering a new muffin flavor or way to make eggs is what I consider a life-changing experience. And don’t even get me started on the obstacles I would be willing to endure for a stack of my mom’s specialty pancakes right now.

Breakfast items are like my children; I love them all the same for what they are, but I also can’t resist the urge to have a favorite. The one that has consistently been there for me. In good times and bad. At any hour of the day. None other than cereal.

My appreciation for cereal is a deeply rooted one that goes back to my first ever bite of Special K (I was a miniature adult as a child…) Since then, it has been a staple component of my diet. I am a firm believer that no meal is the “right” meal for cereal. Heck, college has taught me that it can even be a dessert.

Ah yes, college. That’s where I was going with this. The end of my sophomore year is rapidly approaching, and I can’t help but get all sappy and self-reflective. I’M HALFWAY DONE PEOPLE !!? I really don’t know where time has gone, but I can also confidently say a large portion of it has been spent stupendously. I’ve grown in more ways than one since moving into my double in Warren Towers two years ago. I’ve enjoyed new experiences, met (and continue to meet) the most interesting of new people, and tried a plethora of new foods.

And through all of this change, I’ve found comfort in things that remind of my roots, of what’s familiar. I thus feel it’s time to express some gratitude.

Thank you, Cereal, for always being by my side/in my stomach. Thank you old pal for keeping me full and focused (I’m a fan of Mini Wheats) during late night study sessions, before internship interviews, and following those tough 8 AM lectures. Thank you for always being readily available and understanding when other dining hall menu options just aren’t cutting it. And even on those days when I mix you with Sargent Choice Oatmeal, know that you’re forever my #1.

P.S. CA Angeli’s top cereal picks of all time:

1. Special K Chocolatey Delight

2. Honey Bunches of Oats Almond

3. Frosted Flakes