Eliza: Get in the holiday spirit, even when finals are getting you down

Well Terriers, ‘tis the season and that refers to two things: finals and the holiday season. When I was younger, my parents always started playing Christmas music as soon as they could, and now it’s become a part of my usual routine every December. But with finals on the mind two, it’s important that the songs I’m listening to fit into my usual ~Mugar vibes~ playlist on Spotify. Below, I’ve listed ten of the songs I add every year. Because if I’m going to be studying, at least I can do my best to get a little holiday spirit into it.

White Christmas – Bing Crosby: There are countless versions of this holiday classic, but this one is my favorite. Most people don’t know the song debuted in the film Holiday Inn, which starred Crosby alongside Fred Astaire, before the film White Christmas made it so popular.

Home for the Holidays – Perry Como: Another classic, but this time I choose Como’s version because I grew up listening to this album on LOOP all of December. It’s also a great motivator to get my work done so I can be closer to being home for the holidays.

Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy – Bing Crosby and David Bowie: Who would’ve thought these two would be able to get together and make such a great song?

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer – Jack Johnson: Jack Johnson is a staple on any of my studying playlists, and his cute version of this song lets Rudolph stand up for himself in the end, which is (I believe) a totally valid update to the original.

Silver and Gold (Instrumental) – Decca Concert Orchestra: This is from the very old school animated Rudolph film and I will never stop loving it.

Carol of the Bells – Mannheim Steamroller: What do these guys do when it’s not the holiday season?

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Mariah Carey: Gotta include one from the holiday queen herself, but I resist All I Want for Christmas is you because it’s too much of a certified BOP for the library.

The Bells of Christmas (Greensleeves) – Frank Sinatra: I’m always surprised by this song, and I have a soft spot for Sinatra, so this one always works.

These are just some of the songs that make my finals cram sessions and late nights in the library seem a little more festive. What songs do you listen to during the holidays?