Harper W: Fall Must Do’s While at BostonU

FALL-ing for these Autumn Activities

As a Senior and California native, fall definitely has amazing festivities that you must do at least once while living in New England.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 8.41.46 PM
me apple picking lol

• Apple picking 

This one might be obvious and I promise the fresh produce will be a nice addition to your dining plan. Apple picking my freshman year made me 1. Understand how little variety of apples California has and 2. How amazing the smell of apple orchards is.

Grab a group of friends or find a school-sponsored trip and make your way out to a local orchard. It can be a nice break from the city and a fun day trip.

• Dog show at Faneuil hall 

Every year around Halloween there is a dog costume event in Faneuil hall. It is fun to go downtown and see some puppies. I know I miss my pets a lot at school so seeing all the furry friends looking cute is nice before thanksgiving break.

• Pumpkin drop 

Multiple universities around Boston and Cambridge have done a pumpkin drop event in the past in October. Students and whoever else was a part of planning the event will drop pumpkins (sometimes in sync with music) from really high buildings on their campus.

Sounds simple, but is rather pleasing to watch. 

• Apple cider + Cider donuts 

If you can’t make it to an orchard, try to find some hot apple cider and cider donuts and have a little picnic in the park! Your tastebuds will thank you and you’ll find yourself craving these two treats all year round. 

They are also nice to accompany you on a stroll as the leaves change along the esplanade.

• Leaves changing 

Walking around campus might feel like enough sightseeing after a day full of classes, but I promise it isn’t! Try and find time at the beginning of fall to check out Boston neighborhoods and parks as the leaves begin to change color. 

It might spike your allergies, but it isn’t anything Zyrtec can’t fix.

I know as a freshman juggling all the firsts of college can be overwhelming, but try reminding yourself half of college is immersing yourself in where you are living. Living in New England for the past 4 years has been both very cold but also very colorful. I hope you give yourself the chance to see it for yourself.