Aidan W: A Guide for Incoming Students at Boston University’s College of Communication

Welcome to Boston University’s College of Communication (COM)! As you embark on this exciting journey, you’re not just going to college but becoming part of a community that thrives on creativity, collaboration, and communication. Here’s some advice from a second-semester senior to help you make the most of your time at COM. 

Embrace Diversity: 

One of the amazing aspects of BU’s College of Communication is its diverse student body. Embrace the opportunity to interact with students from various backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. Engage in open conversations and step out of your own world– you’ll find your college experience more fulfilling. 

Take Advantage of Resources: 

COM offers many resources to support your academic and personal growth. From state-of-the-art facilities to experienced faculty members, tap into these resources. Try out many clubs during the first week of class, attend COM Career Services and CCD workshops, go to office hours, and seek guidance from professors – it’s the perfect way to enhance your skills and make the most of your time at COM. It’s curated for you, anyway! 

Network: 

The field of communication thrives on networking. My best advice is to get a LinkedIn. As you explore the site, whenever you see a current intern at a company you like or a professional in a field you admire, send them a polite and positive message asking for a 15-minute phone call sometime they’re free. Words cannot express how many doors have opened for me just by doing this once a month. Remember, you are not asking them for an internship or job, but ask them how they got to their current role, what they’re currently working on, and advice for you. If they agree to the call, they want to help! You have nothing to lose if someone ignores your message or says no. There are millions of people on Linkedin, so message away! 

Manage Your Time Effectively: 

College life can be demanding, but effective time management is critical to success. Create a realistic schedule that balances classes, assignments, extracurricular activities, and personal time. This past semester was super challenging because I put too many academic and extracurricular activities on my plate. Looking back, I’m unsure how I managed it all, but I wish I had made more time for my friends and myself. This semester, I’m making time to study just as important as time to go to a yoga class. 

Embrace Failure as a Learning Opportunity: 

In the dynamic field of communication, setbacks and failures are inevitable. Your work will be criticized, and you can’t let that destroy your confidence. You grow stronger, and so does your work. 

Conclusion: 

As you enter Boston University’s College of Communication, remember you’re embarking on a journey beyond textbooks and classrooms. Embrace the opportunities, connect with your peers, and maximize the experience.