Meredith: Senior’s Advice to Freshman

A letter to the freshman from a soon to be BU COM graduate

Dear incoming students and current freshman,

Cherish this time in college because one day you are going to wake up a second-semester senior with only a few months until graduation. I know everyone warns you how fast college will go and they all tell you to enjoy it, but I am saying it to you again because as I reflect on my last four years here at BU, I enjoyed every second of the crazy ride.

There were so many ups and downs and some days were longer than others, but it made me into the person I am today! It seems so cliche to say, but I found who I am and what I am passionate about in these past four years.

I came into my first year as a pretty scared freshman with no idea of what the future would hold. I was scared of fitting in, making friends, excelling in classes, and I felt like I was not as smart or talented as many of the other students at BU. I had some serious imposter syndrome going on and I was not sure of my path at all.

While some of that stuff never truly goes away, I found my confidence and figured out what I loved to do. I realized I had a passion for communications and marketing research; I learned that I can be a natural leader and possess the skills to be president of a club; I learned how to stand up for myself and what I believe in; I learned to push myself and that I am capable of anything. 

My four years here were spent learning and growing in more ways than I would have ever imagined as an incoming freshman. My future path may never be clear, and sometimes I will doubt myself, I can say with absolute certainty that I grew into the woman I was meant to be.

My best advice to you is to be daring and try new things. Try and push yourself to do something outside of your comfort zone that might scare you a little bit. Also, take advantage of all the amazing opportunities offered here at BU, like clubs, academic resources, and your professor’s office hours. There are so many ways you can grow and learn during college and just trying a few new things could change your entire trajectory. 

If I could do it all over again, I would, but I would not have changed a thing. I am ready now to take on whatever the future holds for me, but I will always be a Terrier at heart.