Robotics Scholarships and How do I get my team to the Robotics World Championship?

We have an amazing group of seniors on the BU Robotics team this year.  They have built an amazing robot and have high hopes of attending great colleges and competing with their robot in the robotics world championship.

One of the things that I have to do as a coach is figure out how to get my team to the World Championship.  I am bringing one team to the VEX World Championship the third week of April.  My seniors have high hopes of attending the FIRST Robotics World Championship in St. Louis.  I can tell you, that I never again want to take the bus to St. Louis.  As much as I love the students, that is a 24 hour ordeal I do not want to repeat.  Affordable last minute flights are hard to come by.  While surfing the web, I just discovered a travel web sight I was not familiar with, Flight Network.

While surfing their page trying to figure out how to get my team to the Robot Championship I discovered that they have a $1000 scholarship.  One of my other duties as a teacher and a coach is to write letters of recommendation and look for internships and scholarship opportunities for my students.

So as  head’s up for my students (and other robotics students) I want to encourage them to apply for the Flight Network Scholarship.  If you have a 3.0 GPA you can apply for this scholarship. All you have to do is tell a travel story.  And I can tell you, on these trips with robotics students, there is ALWAYS a good story to tell.  To apply, just write a short story (500 to 1000 words) about your travel experience or topic (like a 24 hour bus ride and how next time you will fly to the championship).

Once you have written your story, submit it online at this link! Once you have uploaded your story, go to Twitter and mention @FlightNetwork, tweet a travel photo and use the hashtag #FNScholarship.  Then go to Facebook and post a travel photo with the hashtag #FNScholarship on Flight Networks Facebook page.

The deadline is December 31st, 2016 but I would encourage you to submit your photos and stories while we are at the robotics championship!

The winner will get a $1000 scholarship from Flight Network and will be featured on Flight Network’s blog!  So as we head out on the road with our Robot in April, please write a short reflection on our trip and submit it to Flight Network!